Monday, January 10, 2011

Protein

My good friend Danielle and I lifted our max weight today to see just how much we could lift with different muscle groups.  First off let me just say, that girl is strong; she kicked my butt on every muscle.  So here is what I lifted.
Bicep Curl barbell: 50lbs.
Leg Press: 423lbs.
Bench Press: 75lbs.
Tricep pull-downs: 42.5
I hope to improve in all of these areas over the next few months. 
One key to continuing to build muscle...lots of protein.  It is very important to get a good source of healthy protein before and after every workout.  Aim for 20grams before and 20-30grams after.  This is far more important when you are weight lifting than doing cardio.  Protein is made of amino acids, amino acids are the building blocks of muscle.  If you lift, but don't consume an adequate amount of protein your muscles won't repair and grow to their full potential, thus you are waisting your precious time.  Some easy and yummy sources of protein: Greek yogurt, whey protein, egg whites (boil a few the night before if you are in a hurry) skim milk.  Try to always get some fiber with your protein; it will slow down digestion, making you feel fuller longer. 

1 comment:

  1. I like to boil about half a dozen eggs at a time and hard boil them, then I keep them in a conatiner in the fridge. Super easy and fast when I need a quick protein snack. Or string cheese, too!

    ReplyDelete