Monday, January 24, 2011

Back in the gym

After being out of the gym all last week due to a sinus infection and sick kids, I was so happy to get back today. I stuck to my plan and lifted legs for 30 mins and then ran/walked for 45 mins.  I must say I did better than I thought I would.  I actually ran about 2/3 of the time which is pretty good for me since I wasn't being chased by anything.
I read up on nutrition for running.  Most people know that you should carb load before a long run for sustained energy, but what you might not know is that foods that are high in protein, fat and fiber can actually make you feel worse.  These foods are difficult to digest; since your body takes blood away from functions like digestion during bouts of high activity, eating them will cause gastrointestinal issues.  Whats more, eating refined carbs like white flour and pasta are the best since they are already broken down.  On running days it is better to eat a low protein/high carb breakfast, no that doesn't mean you can have a donut.  Try a banana and half a protein bar, I especially like this option because I can eat half in the car on the way to the gym and eat the other half on the way home. I did follow-up my workout today with a protein shake since I also lifted.
I have been taking the creatine before my workouts and I am starting to notice the difference.  Maybe it is in my head, but I feel like I can go longer before I reach failure and I can run longer too. 

1 comment: